for Elementary Students!
NEW series from South-Western for K-5
Learning with Computers is a series of project-based books that teach
and reinforce keyboarding and computer skills for students in grades Kindergarten-5.
The books cover the computer literacy skills established by the National Educational
Technology Standards (NETS), an ongoing initiative of ISTE, the International
Society for Technology in Education.
The books are classified by level, from Level K to Level 5, and build upon
each other. The three books in levels K-2 focus on computer awareness and
give students a solid foundation in keyboarding. Levels 3-5 introduce and
build applications skills and reinforce keyboarding skills.
Additional cross-curricular activities to reinforce the computer skills taught
are available in the Side Trips at the end of each project. Each book contains
18 main projects with step-by-step directions and approximately 40 Side Trips
activities, so each book contains over 58 computer activities for students
to complete. In each project, core-curriculum skills are reinforced so that
computer skills are taught in context with skills students are learning in
Each project in the Learning with Computers series features the following:
- Typing Activity page in each project teaches and reinforces typing
- Project Objectives for a clear blueprint of what is to be learned
- Word Power to aid in learning new computer terms
- Scenario to introduce the project in an interesting, engaging way
- Step-by-Step Directions to make it easy to complete each task
- Jake's Ergonomics Tips to offer posture reminders and avoid bad
- Quick Checks that give students an opportunity to evaluate themselves
- Side Trips for additional cross-curricular activities to incorporate
core curriculum areas
Learning with Computers features characters from South-Western's Bernie's
Typing Travels keyboarding software and introduces new friends, too. The
books can stand alone or can be used in conjunction with the Bernie software
for a complete elementary solution!
Create your own custom bundle of Learning with Computers and Bernie's
Typing Travels keyboarding software.
Download Scope &
Sequence (102 KB .doc) and K-5
NETS Correlation (70 KB .doc)